Even in 2016, there are still a surprising amount of manufacturing businesses that use spreadsheets to manage their data. Though this might seem like a cost effective solution that is manageable for a small business, the truth is that many businesses outgrow spreadsheets without even realizing it. Once this has happened, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and accuracy can all begin to suffer. How can you tell if your business should be investing in an integrated solution to ERP and data management? Here are a few of the tell-tale signs:
- You’re using multiple workbooks. If the amount of data you are managing has become so large that it spans across multiple worksheets, you might want to consider a more advanced solution that can make your life easier. If you need multiple workbooks, the odds are very good that you need to move on.
- Different departments have different data keeping methods. Consistency is key to efficiency. If each and every department in your business keeps its own data, then you are not using your employees’ time wisely.
- You are stressing about data. Trust your gut! If you feel stressed about data keeping, it’s probably because your current system is inadequate!
- You spend large amounts of time acclimating employees to “your system.” If your operations are truly small enough to warrant using spreadsheets, then there shouldn’t be that much to teach.
- You hire remote employees. It is virtually impossible to manage data accurately through a spreadsheet when you are working with remote employees.
- You spend more time inputting/managing data than you do analyzing it. This one should be a no-brainer!
- Insufficient/Incomplete data has cause a costly mistake. “Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.” That old saying has quite a bit of truth to it, and it certainly applies to using spreadsheets. Don’t get fooled twice! If your current system is causing problems, correct it!
The SMARTest solution!